Monday, April 7, 2008

This is the way the baby rides......




I love watching Kate and Claire interact. Kate loves the fact that she can play with her little sister now and actually get a response. Yesterday she tried doing her version of "This is the way the baby rides...." Its a song that my mom used to sing with me as a child and now I sing with my girls. By the end you are riding like a cowboy, bouncing all around, giggling up a storm! Of course by the time they got to the end of the song, Claire was no longer sitting up, but pretty much laying down (Kate needs to lift weights if she wants to actually hold her heavy weight sister!). Oh well! They both had fun! In that moment I took a second to reflect on what I thought sisterhood looked like. Being an only child (though my cousin and I always claimed to be sisters), I really didn't know what to expect. In that one instant as I watched the two of them looking into each others eyes, letting out pure, uncontrollable squeals of joy, I could see that bond that they will have with no one else. That place in their heart that won't be filled by anything or anyone else. Part of me is incredibly jealous, but then I think.....how cool that I (and Wood of course) created that. Then I realize, I'm the luckiest person in the world!

1 comment:

RP said...

As one who has a sister closer to me than breath, I can vouch for that closeness. We often say we share a brain, because we think the same thoughts, quote the same line from a movie at the same time, or burst into the same stupid song at the same time. I can't imagine even twins being closer!! And we are just about the same split as Kate & Claire, too. Aren't they blessed!!! (Um, do remember there are about 15 years of intense fighting/squabbling to go through first, though!!! ha!)