Saturday, September 6, 2008

Rainy day fun...

For those of you that didn't know, this little storm called Hanna came through today. For us, it was a slow moving day. None of us had energy to do anything and thus the whining began!

Thanks to the divine inspiration of Rebekah, I decided to put on my thinking cap and come up with something for Kate to do. What started off as a quick internet search for playdoh, morphed into a lesson on senses.

I found a recipe for Cinnamon playdoh. Sounded interesting and yummy to me. So I thought, why not check out my spice rack. So we had a brief discussion about senses and then identified what they were. Kate did a lot better than I thought she might. After that, we sat on the floor in front of my spice rack (it's part of my kitchen island) and smelled, touched, tasted, looked and even listened to all my spices.

Some caused Kate's nose to cringe as she sneered, "that's spicy!", while others cause her to squeal with joy, "Yummy!". We had fun and ultimately she ended up picking cinnamon without any prompting or knowing what would happen with it.

After all that excitement, we got down to business getting super messy, making our playdoh.

First we started off with the essentials, flour and salt and a lot of it there was!Kate wanted her playdoh to be purple (her favorite color), so we dyed the water...not that it really mattered. The end result was definitely NOT purple.
After some mixing (and adding more flour and more flour and more flour!!!) We finally had our dough. The end result was odd. Almost sandy like (thanks to ALLLL THE SALT) and very sticky. I felt like I was working with bread dough. We had to flour our play area often.
The end result, Daddy and Kate....very weird. Mommy isn't so good at making playdoh people. Didn't pass that class in preschool.
Kate however worked very hard on her sand castle, complete with a bridge, mote, windows, flag, boat, boulder and horse. Use your imagination people! She's only 3...well almost 4. = )

We ended the day with a family movie. First time we have done that. Thanks to the library, we were able to watch Alvin and The Chipmunks (the new one). Great movie! All of us got a good chuckle out of it, even little Claire. Two thumbs up from this family!

No comments: